2008-07-29

99 bottles of nectar on the wall



Fermented beverages are not exlusive for Homo sapiens, although we do consume it in an impressive quantity and together with weird rituals compared to other animals. Now it turns out that a treeshrew species (Ptilocercus lowii) consumes the fermented nectar (3.8 %) from a specific tree, which in turn makes the little creature have a high blood concentration of alcohol at any time. This doesn't mean that we have a jungle full of intoxicated treeshews, since the alcohol apparently leaves the threeshews uneffected from the drunk behaviour humans can boast with.

Now I'm off for five days at Wacken Open Air where I will indulge in my other main interest, which is the heavier/harder side of music. While there I will probably consume some beer and when I do, I will have the treeshrub in mind!


Source:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2008/07/25/0801628105.abstract?sid=4704ed9e-9f9e-4b54-9cc1-9ae8cb46e4a7

Inga kommentarer: