2008-07-25

Cthulhu's spawns has 96 arms


Image revised from http://www.pinktentacle.com/2008/07/monster-octopi-with-scores-of-extra-tentacles/

I once read the book "Maya" by the norwegian writer Jostein Garner. In one chapter, two of the book's charachters discusses how eventual intelligent lifeforms from other worlds would look like. One of the guys states that they ought to have two hands "because that is enough". In my teenage head I thought that was a good quote so I've kept it with me (of course, I've realized over the years that is not true since evolution isn't a goal-oriented force of nature...but never mind that!).

That is, I thought it was a good quote until I came across this picture of a 96-armed (!!!) octopus (found in Shima Marineland Aquarium). Since octopusses are highly intelligent, this defintitely speaks against the Maya-philosophers view on bright extraterrestrial life.

So I guess that this means that we don't know what to expect when trying to socialize with E.T. and his kin. All Lovecraft-freaks must be
thrilled.

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

fantastisk bild av denna bläckfisk, men jag är nyfiken: vad är det Cuthulu?

Septikemi sa...

Vad bilden är eller vad Cthulhu är?